PA Massage Therapy Licensing and Renewal Information
PA Continuing Education Requirements:
Valid Adult CPR Certification
24 Hours of Continuing Education every two years
16 of the 24 must be live “in-class” hours
8 of the 24 can be obtained on-line
4 must be in ethics, 2 must be in Child Abuse
If this is the first time renewing your license you will need to obtain 3 CE's in Child Abuse Recognition and Reportin
Pennsylvania requires 16 CE's in HANDS ON (Live) classes to fulfill licensure requirements. (Any class taken in a classroom, spa, clinic, home, etc. by an APPROVED CE PROVIDER is considered a live/hands on class, even if it is just theoory and there is no actual hands on practice.)
The PA State Board accepts CEs in energy work, Asian Body Work and Reflexology.
*CE Subject Matter Must be Massage Therapy Related & Providers must be Board Approved
CE Classes for business, practice management, advertising and insurance billing are not accepted for licensing renewal.
ACCEPTABLE CPR PROVIDERS FOR MASSAGE THERAPY LICENSING (Rev. 02/16)
1. American Heart Association
2. American Red Cross
3. American Safety & Health Institute (ASHI)
4. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American College of Emergency Physicians under the Emergency Care and Safety Institute (approved only for the Adult CPR and AED course, Adult, Child & Infant CPR & AED course or the Health Care Provider CPR & AED course). (ECSI)
5. National Safety Council (approved only for the Standard First Aid, CPR and AED course or the BLS: Healthcare and Professional Rescuer CPR course)
6. EMS Safety Services (approved only for the CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer course)
*Please note that the Pennsylvania State Board of Massage Therapy does not accept programs that are done online. CPR courses must be through contact hours.
KEEP YOUR RECORDS FOR FIVE (5) YEARS- Audit selected at random, annually.
PENNSYLVANIA STATE BOARD OF MASSAGE THERAPY contact information:
P.O. Box 2649
Harrisburg, PA 17105-2649